Recipes from Greece
Greece has an abundance of fabulous dishes to recreate when at home. The following recipe should be cooked in a large casserole pot with the lid on long and slow in the oven. It's a vegetarian dish that can be enjoyed with crusty bread or, alongside a slow roasted leg of lamb and a large Greek Salad if you prefer.
Ingredients to create Gigantes
- 1 x tin of butter beans (400g)
- 3 x tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 x onions sliced
- 2 x tablespoons of tomato puree
- 2 x tins of chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 1 x teaspoon of sugar
- 2 x teaspoons of dried oregano
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 x tablespoons of chopped parsley
- Combine all of the ingredients (except the onions in a large casserole pot
- layer the onions at the top of the bean mixture
- add a can of water to the mix and keep this topped up during the cooking process so it doesn't dry out
- place in an oven 160c with the lid on the casserole pot
- cook gently for up to 2 to 3 hours
- don't forget to keep topping up with the water
Ouzo is the national drink of Greece more often than not mixed with water. Why not try the following recipe for a Greek tipple to accompany the Gigante Beans.
- 50ml ouzo
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- 20ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- 2 drops Angostura bitters
- Mix ingredients in a shaker.
- Pour into a sour glass.
- Add a few extra drops of bitters.
- Travel Writing
- Food and Drink
- Indian Ocean
- Take to the Fairways
- Family Inspiration
- South Africa
- Spa Escapes
- Middle East
- Honeymoon Escapes